Studying Abroad

Today marks the end of my third week studying abroad in London. As I stand on the precipice of my last essays, presentations, and final exams, I feel overwhelmed and slightly terrified for the future of my next two weeks. I should explain that the study abroad program I chose was five weeks in London and nine weeks in Paris. I admit, I was greedy, and I wanted the opportunity to explore two countries, learn two cultures, and speak one new language.

Now I come from a university where the definition of stress has no limits; each semester I am pushed beyond boundaries I thought were impossible. I heard from individuals that studying abroad would decrease my stress levels; the classes would be easier and I was essentially “paying for an A”. I thought the universe dealt me the perfect hand, but once again, I realize life is combination of moments that are idyllic and moments that are chaotic. Nothing ever goes as planned, but I have to be okay with it.

One of the most difficult things about studying abroad (for me) is the difference found within the culture of the classroom. At Berkeley, eight hundred students in a lecture class makes it easy to hide behind the crowd; however, my classrooms now consist of twenty students. A discussion based lecture terrified me more than I could have imagined. My anxiety levels surge when I either answer questions incorrectly or lack an opinion on the subject matter. I get embarrassed when other students are avidly fighting for their beliefs, and I cannot muster the same courage. But what I learned was, it is perfectly okay to be interested in a subject, to fight for a belief, to have a passion even if other students seem more knowledgable. It doesn’t make my interest worth any less, and it doesn’t mean I am not worthy of my passions. I have the right to be just as obsessed as they are and, comparison is truly the thief of joy.

The second issue is finding the right balance between studying and playing. I know this is a struggle most students face, but studying abroad exacerbates the situation because you’re in a new country. Your country is probably surrounded by so many other countries and traveling every weekend seems like the norm. It all comes down to priorities and what type of you can you fall asleep with at night. It’s important to find this balance in the earlier weeks of studying abroad before you’re filled with regrets on one end of the spectrum.

And on the topic of social media. Social media is fun, but it’s also deceitful. So many people believe I’m having so much fun and life is easy and worry-less, but no one’s life is filled with happiness twenty-four/seven. My mind is constantly going between happy, anxious, excited, sad, just like any other person. We tend to show our best selves on social media, and I’m guilty of it too.

Studying abroad is always teaching me something new everyday, and here are just a few extra lessons I learned. I realized I wish I took more classes in Political Economy before I declared my major. I love spending time with other people, but I also needed more alone time than I would’ve admitted a year ago. The fear of missing out is so real, but it’s going to happen and it’s going to be fine. And there are days when nothing is perfect and everything is going down the drain, but if I can remember where I am and still be in awe of my surroundings then I know that I am blessed and thankful.

Be kind to yourself when you’re abroad because you are bound to make mistakes along the way, but studying abroad is worth it. It takes you away from reality because working, participating in clubs, volunteering – these duties disappear and they’re replaced with time to explore new surroundings. So amidst all the stress I am going through currently, I’m also really happy.

32 Comments

1. zobacz www January 20, 2017

Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring
    on other websites? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my
    viewers would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested,
    feel free to shoot me an e mail.

2. Is Weed Legal In Nevada January 21, 2017

Nice weblog here! Additionally your web site rather a lot
    up fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I get your
    associate hyperlink in your host? I want my web
    site loaded up as quickly as yours lol.

3. In case the sleeve was the only issue, it could become shortened, but the
    length of the jacket determines the positioning of typically the pockets
    and the buttonholes – which can’t become
    repositioned – that’s why the fit of an off the rack suit regarding bigger men is generally so
    bad. https://www.facebook.com/FluffyBro-616746321845261/

4. カメヤマ酵母 January 22, 2017

おはよう。私は10年ほど前からダイエットを行ってきました。体重は落ちてもすぐに戻ったりで結局たいして体重が落ちてません。ですが、年を取ってくると昔よりも少ない食事量でも太りやすくなってきたと実感してきました。そのため、これからは本気でダイエットしようと決めたんです。しかも痩せやすい時期です。ですからいろんなサイトを見て調べたんです。どんなやり方のダイエット法があるのか、こんなやり方のダイエット法がおすすめとかの知識が増えました。最近は酵素を使ったサプリのダイエットが主流の一つですね。体の体調も良くしながらダイエットできるようです。また、エステなどで注目されている痩身ですね。これも美を取り戻しながら痩せる方法ですね。その痩身エステにもいろんな機械を使って効果が期待できそうです。しかもほとんどのエステには体験コースというものがあって値段が安いので、まずは体験コースからやってみることをお勧めします。そして食べものも大事です。また、野菜が食べれない人は野菜ジュースや青汁などでしっかりと栄養を摂ってダイエットしましょう。

5. www.nishikou-14.com January 23, 2017

I wanted to make an effort to state my passion in your direction which blog that was amazing!
    Caring it!

6. Amazonで買い物をする時にはお店などで買うものを決めてから通販サイトに行く時と、気分でいい物がないかなぁとサイトをブラブラとしながらアイテムを探す時とがありますよね?
    気分変わるし買い物は楽しいのに、後者の場合は、いいアイテムが見つかると超ハッピーな気分になりますよね。
    支払い方法はクレジットカード払いが多いかな。あとはAmazonギフト券。これはとてもお得なのでお小遣いがでた時に買っておきます。
    これは、個人間でAmazonギフト券が売買できるところがあるのでそれを使ってます。ヤフオクのギフト券版のような感じですかね?boomeというサービスが一番有名ですが、あるじゃんというサービスも結構Amazonギフト券が安く出品されているので調べてから使うようにしています。
    10%ぐらい安く買える時もあるのでぜひ使ってみてください。一度使ったらもう定価は無いです。

7. 올티비다 March 7, 2017

Now you will soon forget about key-fobs as well since
    new biometric revolution is going to allow you to enter your car with your fingerprint, face detection or eyeball
    recognition. 00 per gallon, depending on market prices, but that is a
    good benchmark.

8. The warranties for some branded cars may go up
    to 3 or 4 years depending on the model. Driven aggressively, the cars
    will run out of power in about 30 minutes. Listed here are some interesting facts about
    Mercedes-Benz.

9. Panel & Paint Planning March 7, 2017

All since then, Indica is floating in the market with a regular sale.
    Listed here are some interesting facts about Mercedes-Benz.

10. photographer tax March 7, 2017

Costs there can be as minimal as $500 for your automobile in a excellent situation. Producing a very
    light car will drop its fuel consumption, and oil companies will not
    appreciate this. Listed here are some interesting facts about Mercedes-Benz.

11. JChamberlainedm March 7, 2017

Abroad, modified cars long, first appeared in the modified
    car to better participate in the competition, drag racing, like so
    many people have converted their car engines,.
    So, you are not required to move from one dealer to another
    for ideal model. According to Campbell Fuller, spokesman for the ICA, buyers need to contact
    their insurer before agreeing to a purchase.

12. Phoenix Charter School March 11, 2017

Strict standards and excellence in service is what made Cullitons the premiere limo service of choice for
    thousands of Torontonians as well as visiting guests from all over the world.
    You can visit Monaco Motors for your classic car’s regular check-up
    and you can also do your own daily car care so your vintage car will look as new and luxurious as ever.

13. Diabetes March 11, 2017

Costs there can be as minimal as $500 for your automobile in a excellent
    situation. So, you are not required to move from one
    dealer to another for ideal model. This is a rear-wheel drive car, and that means that unlike front-wheel drive cars – which typically can’t be used much beyond B class – the MR2 can be upgraded all the way to the top of A – although going into S class is probably a bit much.

14. biometric access March 11, 2017

Abroad, modified cars long, first appeared in the modified car to
    better participate in the competition, drag racing,
    like so many people have converted their car engines,. So, you are not required to move from one dealer to another for ideal model.

00 per gallon, depending on market prices,
    but that is a good benchmark.

15. Undoubtedly, the internet is among the most preferred market places where sellers and buyers meet.
    Producing a very light car will drop its fuel consumption, and oil companies
    will not appreciate this. This is a rear-wheel drive car,
    can be upgraded all the way to the top of A –
    although going into S class is probably a bit much.

16. beedle March 11, 2017

Along with the car sales, the Japanese used car sellers also supply the dismantled parts of
    the vehicles in cube containers of size 20ft or 40 ft.
    So, you are not required to move from one dealer to
    another for ideal model. The damage varies
    from vehicle to vehicle but can be as small as light hail damage which is barely visible through to damage caused
    by falling trees.

17. Kristofer March 15, 2017

You will never feel any cravings for a long period and
    you will be in a position to avoid any extra calories.Use Smaller Plates – It might sound crazy,
    but eating ooff large pplates sometimes leaves you with food youu doo nott
    realy want. It might appear contradictory, playing with order to shed
    weight, you have too eat. http://strategymate.canariblogs.com/lose-weight-with-the-body-detox-diet-413881

18. Despite the fact that eyesight is actually a process which can typically spice up our appearance.
    Laser vision treatment will assist. The R’s are having Frederick,
    Silas and Smith for any long breathing. The product that actually works.
    In addition, it is not very; this variance is known as visual surgery, elective surgery,
    making it more of a significant issue, lacking it carried out again down the road.

19. The remote control includes 3 different frequencies,
    and you can operate the car from up to 8 meters.

Once you do that take a spray bottle filled with 4 cups of
    warm water and a tablespoon of detergent and spray the stain. The damage varies from vehicle to
    vehicle but can be as small as light hail damage which is barely visible through to damage caused by falling trees.

20. Mosquito Larvicide March 20, 2017

The warranties for some branded cars may go up to 3 or 4 years depending
    on the model. Be smart and savvy when negotiating the interest rate for new cars and don’t just sign on the bottom line.
    Access Free Online Maps via Wi – Fi or 3G network, such as Google Map.

21. Iphone repair March 20, 2017

to their original states and what parts of the car you are willing to restore “as close as possible” to their original states.
    Now you will soon forget about key-fobs as well
    since new biometric revolution is going to allow
    you to enter your car with your fingerprint, face detection or eyeball recognition. This
    the way to the top of A – although going into S class is probably a bit much.

22. Rodent Control March 20, 2017

Abroad, modified cars long, first appeared in the modified car to better participate in the competition, drag racing,
    like so many people have converted their car engines,.
    Producing a very light car will drop its fuel consumption, and oil companies will not appreciate this.
    This is a rear-wheel drive car, and that means
    that unlike front-wheel drive cars – which typically can’t
    be used much beyond B class – the MR2 can be upgraded all the way to the
    top of A – although going into S class is probably a
    bit much.

23. Change locks Nottingham March 20, 2017

The proceeds of selling your older car can go to the operations of the charity like giving food or clothing to the family that they supported.
    00 per gallon, depending on market prices, but that is a good benchmark.

24. carding forum March 20, 2017

Abroad, modified cars long, first appeared in the
    modified car to better participate in the competition, drag racing,
    like so many people have converted their car engines,.

Once you do that take a spray bottle filled with 4 cups of warm water and
    a tablespoon of detergent and spray the stain. It is available in two versions of petrol and diesel and has been a very reasonable price.

25. movie clips March 20, 2017

Driven aggressively, the cars will run out of power in about 30 minutes.
    It includes 4 different frequencies so you can race against your friends.

26. Stroller Sun Shade March 20, 2017

the car you are going to restore to their original states and what parts of
    All since then, Indica is floating in the market with
    a regular sale. It includes 4 different frequencies so you
    can race against your friends.

27. Free Android Apk March 20, 2017

The remote control includes 3 different frequencies, and you can operate the car from up to
    8 meters. All since then, Indica is floating in the
    market with a regular sale. According to Campbell Fuller,
    spokesman for the ICA, buyers need to contact their insurer before agreeing to
    a purchase.

28. So you, as the restorer, have to set realistic goals as to exactly what parts of the car you are going to restore to their original states and what parts of the car you
    are willing to restore “as close as possible” to their original states.
    All since then, Indica is floating in the market with a regular sale.
    It is available in two versions of petrol and diesel and has been a very
    reasonable price.

29. Asbestos abatement March 20, 2017

Costs there can be as minimal as $500 for your automobile in a excellent situation. Today, Parents magazine and car-buying platform Edmunds.

The damage varies from vehicle to vehicle but can be as small as light hail damage
    which is barely visible through to damage caused by falling trees.

30. Costs there can be as minimal as $500 for your automobile in a excellent situation.
    So, you are not required to move from one dealer to another for ideal model.
    The damage varies from vehicle to vehicle but can be as small as light hail
    damage which is barely visible through to damage caused by falling
    trees.

31. dog kennels March 23, 2017

A new technology introduced by one of the biggest automobile companies, Volvo,
    will ensure that your car avoid accidents
    on the roads involving pedestrians. Producing a very light car will drop its fuel consumption, and oil companies will
    not appreciate this. You can visit Monaco Motors for your classic car’s regular check-up

32. servicexec March 23, 2017

to restore to their original states and what parts of
    the car you are willing to restore “as close as possible” to their original
    states. All since then, Indica is floating in the market with
    a regular sale. Access Free Online Maps via Wi – Fi or 3G network, such